New Delhi: 7 residents of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh were abducted in Libya last month. The Indian government has said it is in contact with the African country to rescue them. The six were abducted on September 14 in the Asberif area of Libya.
The Indians worked for an oil company in Libya. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said they were on their way to Tripoli airport to catch a flight back to India. At that time they were taken away. Srivastava said they had been in contact with the Libyan administration and had been in touch with the organization they worked for. The kidnappers contacted their agency and showed pictures of the abductors, proving that they were in good health. Efforts are being made to rescue them as soon as possible.
Libya in North Africa is a country rich in oil. However, Libya has been embroiled in civil war and violence since the end of Muammar Gaddafi’s four-decade rule in 2011. Anurag Srivastava said the Indian embassy in Tunisia, Libya’s neighbor, had contacted the Libyan administration and was in touch with various international organizations working in the country.
In September 2015, the Indian government issued a directive banning Indians from entering Libya due to the situation there. A complete ban was issued in May 2016. Srivastava said the ban was still in place.
📣 India Live Daily is now on Facebook. Click here to Like & Follow Our Facebook Page (@IndiaLiveDaily) and stay updated with the latest headlines.